Dear quilting friends,
We are up to our eyeballs, literally, in snow piles and have enjoyed some snowy quilting days, followed by gorgeous days of sunny moderation to get out and enjoy winter in Rangeley.
FALL 2011 QUILT CAMP ~~ IT'S SIGN UP TIME!
You've waited patiently and now we are pleased to announce our 11th annual Fall Quilt Camps. Two options are available this year ~~ Bonnie Hunter Quilt Camp and Quilt Camp “With A Twist”.
The weekend of October 13– 16, 2011, features America's “queen” of the scrap quilt, Bonnie Hunter, in her first teaching engagement in New England. This high energy author, instructor, and prolific quilt maker from North Carolina will delight campers with inspiration to get those scraps and leftovers out of those bins in the closet and stitched up into fun and fabulous quilts.
Quilt Camp “With A Twist” is the weekend of October 20 – 23, 2011, providing the same wonderful quilting experience as always, fun camaraderie, fabulous meals and gorgeous scenery. The “twist” is that there is no instructor. This quilting getaway is the perfect opportunity to work on your own projects, away from the distractions of daily life.
DON'T DELAY ~~ SPACE IS LIMITED ~~ SIGN UP IS FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED!
We recommend signing up by telephone to guarantee your registration in the camp of your choosing.
WHAT'S NEW IN THE SHOP?
- 26 bolts of new batiks by Robert Kaufman in luscious shades of toasted almond, olive, aqua, avocado, pear and lapis. These nature inspired prints immersed Carol in a major fabric bolt “shuffle” and now “the back room” showcases batiks on three walls. Drop by just to look – in person or online – they are artistically gorgeous fabrics.
- Bonnie Hunter's latest book, Scraps & Shirttails II, hot off the press, is due to arrive any day now. There's a beautiful star quilt Carol & Martha can't wait to piece using Deb Tucker's V Block Trimmer units and Bonnie's trademark four patch “leaders and enders” units. They'll probably have Dan sorting through those scrap bins for just the colors they have in mind!
- Martha's fat quarter bundles are now in groups of nine! Each coordinating bundle of fabrics, whether 9, 10, or 12 fabrics, is the perfect starting place for your next quilt. We love the free patterns offered at MODA Bake Shop. Paired with a fat quarter bundle or a charm pack, these designs allow you to make a fast and fun project on a winter afternoon.
WHAT'S NEW AT QUILT INN RANGELEY RETREAT CENTER?
- The new cellular shades in all the windows of the studio provide an effective barrier from the heat of the sun or the chill of the winds. Guests may enjoy some privacy for those late nights of stitching or simply block out the late afternoon sun, if desired.
- The custom designed cutting counter for the studio, due to arrive any day now, will provide much needed storage and a nice open surface for demonstrations and instruction during classes.
- To encourage you to experience the fun of a get away with quilting friends, we are offering an additional 10% discount off the already reduced price during the months of May through October for any 1st time groups. Round up a group of 8~9 quilters, split the cost, and come experience what so many groups have come to love! Please call (207-864-5752) or email Carol to help plan your first retreat or your return stay with us.
We're wrapping up Groovy Girls I on February 2nd and it's been so much fun that we are already excited about Groovy Girls II. With themes from “Getting Organized” to “Groovy Gifts” and the final “Mom & Me”, we've stitched up Travelin' Totes, embellished Zippy Strippy bags, learned no fuss machine appliqué, made dinner napkins and folded them in amazing ways, given away Sweet Zips to friends at the holidays, fancied up gifts of wine and home baked breads with Zip Wraps, and combined all our new skills to make Pocket Roll-Ups to use as wallets or to hold our hand sewing supplies. We've made new friends and shared a lot of laughs at our monthly gatherings. The show & tell has been awesome! We'll share our plans for Groovy Girls II with you later this summer.
MARCH WINTER BREAK
We will be closed this year for our winter break from Sunday, February 27th through Monday, March 28th. We'll reopen Tuesday, March 29th at 10 AM.
- The 8th Annual Maine State Shop Hop gets underway April 1st and lasts the entire month. It's a fun way to get out after the long winter and see what different shops around the state have to offer. Each shop has different goodies and prize opportunities, as well as those offered by the Shop Hop sponsors. Pick up your “passport” at any participating shop and “hop” to as many shops as you wish. Check the website where details for Shop Hop 2011 will be posted soon.
- Carol's off to Spring Quilt Market at Salt Lake City in May. Carol and her traveling pals, the owners of Country Creations in Jefferson, Maine, have this down to a science now. They know just what time of day to see their favorite fabric reps and catch the demos of new products. Splitting up to attend a variety of seminars for shop owners, they eagerly swap notes back at the hotel each evening. Sight seeing and local dining are always planned as well as creative packing to bring home on the plane all that they picked up at market. It's a great way to see what's new and popular in the world of quilt making. Yes, Martha and Dan keep the shop going while Carol's away and make sure our Quilt Inn guests have everything they need.
Whether you are in the midst of a big winter quilt project, or stitching up a fun Valentine's door quilt, we send along our wishes for lots of enjoyable quilting and winter fun.
We look forward to seeing you soon,
Carol, Dan & Martha
Threads Galore Quilt Shop