Dear quilting friends,
MAINE QUILTS 2013
Our quilts are back from being shown at Maine Quilts 2013 in Augusta, Maine, and hanging in our showroom. Dan’s “Spotlight on the Stars” was awarded a first place blue ribbon and his “Insanity” earned a third place yellow ribbon. Congratulations also to Betsy Henebry, a seasonal Rangeley resident and quilting friend, on her quilt, "Baltimore Album", which was awarded a second place red ribbon.
Designed & Pieced by Dan Perkins
Quilted by Carol Perkins
|"Spotlight on the Stars"
Designed & Pieced by Dan Perkins
Quilted by Carol Perkins
Designed, Pieced & Quilted by
QUILT INN NEWS & DISCOUNTS
What a great time we had with our July Quilt Inn-ers from western NY state, who felt their usual one week with us is “way too short” and have already booked a 10 day retreat for next year. This group amazes us when 8 or 9 quilters arrive from 500 miles away in just two vehicles with everything they need for a week of quilting, their daily exercise walking, and morning swims in Rangeley Lake, a short walk down the street. Their evening menus on the Quilt Inn message board bring a smile ~ delicious Maine seafood and local pizza!
We thought it would be fun to share with you some recent comments from the Quilt Inn Guest Book.
- “As usual, we had a ball!”
- “A wonderful place to enjoy our art of quilting!”
- “Thank you again for a magical quilting-fellowship weekend!”
- “Thank you for all of the quiting tips for a new beginner ~ a wonderful week.”
- “Another awesome year at the Quilt Inn. Thanks for your hospitality.”
- “Beautiful place, shop and accommodations!”
- “This is a special place. You have thought of everything ~ which has made one feel so welcome, so at home, yet away on vacation. Words fail to say how wonderful this time has been.”
- “Thank you very much for welcoming us into your home. We felt comfortable enough to gather in friendship, love and laughter.”
Special discounts are available ~
- Stay 7 nights, pay for 5
- Summer savings, May through September, 10% off any booking
- November retreat special, 15% off, 3 night minimum
We look forward to helping you plan your group's retreat!
The Tahiti Tote class last week was a fast-paced, fearless zipper event led by Martha. Taught in the spacious, well-equipped Quilt Inn Studio, this class was a fun gathering of quilters from New York, Kentucky, and Maine. These gals are ready to tackle any bag pattern now ~ and zippers are no longer something to avoid.
Open Studio Days ~ a fun time to gather and work on the project of your choice. Drop by the shop to sign up.
- Monday, August 19
- Monday, September 23
- Monday, October 28
- Monday, November 25
- Monday, December 9
AUTUMN SPLENDOR ROW-BY-ROW QUILT
Martha has finished piecing our shop's Row by Row Quilt top and it's now pictured on the Autumn Splendor Shop Hop website. At each shop, hoppers will receive the block instructions for one row of the quilt. At your seventh shop, you'll receive final assembly instructions. This is such a fun quilt and the Joyful Harvest fabrics by Red Rooster are wonderful to use. We hope you'll mark your calendars to enjoy Autumn Splendor with us September 26th through October 6th, 2013.
Threads Galore recently joined an interesting new website called QuiltingHub. Quilting Hub is maintained by quilters for quilters. We see it becoming a center of quilting information where we can share local events, shops, guilds, associations, museums, service providers (including guild speakers) and manufacturers with each other. It will be very nice to be able to travel to a new destination and get an easy and accurate idea of the events, shops and other quilting resources in any given area, worldwide. They even have a comprehensive list of quilting terminology.
Quilting Hub has gone to great lengths to create an amazing website. We feel it will become a helpful tool, replacing outdated listings and books that frustrate so many of our customers. We encourage you to visit QuiltingHub, register as yourself, and find your favorite listings and events.
Check our listing here to "like" us, become a "fan" or "rate us!"
Plans are underway for our Annual Labor Day Weekend Porch Sale. We'll have a nice selection of discounted bags and purses, table runners, wall quilts, books/notions/patterns.
FAVORITE NEW PATTERNS
FAVORITE NEW FABRIC
- Totally Trendy Totes 2.0, from Patterns by Annie, is the quintessential tote bag in 3 sizes, medium to extra-large. Perfect for carrying your quilting, knitting, or craft projects, this bag also makes a great daily work bag, kid bag, gym bag or travel bag. The optional top zipper is easy to install and brilliantly designed to open and fall flat against the inside of the bag, giving you a full sized opening for ease of use. A free bonus pattern is included for see through vinyl project bags in three sizes. Martha recently stitched up our medium sized tote shop sample, using the recommended Soft & Stable batting and loved the results.
- Suzy's Sack by Little Scraps has just arrived and is sure to be our go-to bag for gift giving this holiday season. Perfect for gals of all ages, children will love these as well. Decorative buttons make each bag unique.
- What's In Your Bag is not a new pattern to the shop, however Martha strongly recommends making it up using our new Soft & Stable batting. With a see through vinyl front and the firmer batting, this will be the perfect cosmetic bag for those airline travel product size guidelines. Far more stylish than the zip-loc food storage bag we've been using!!
- Blues, browns, and warm golds in both small scale prints and a large floral make a beautiful display in our selections from the Savannah line by Jo Morton. Carol yearns to stitch up a Rangeley Table Runner, using the large scale blue-on-ivory floral print as the focus fabric.
- "Mia" is a Jacobean style collection for Red Rooster, by Kathy Brown of The Teacher's Pet, with beautiful tones of sage green, soft rust, gentle blue, and golden yellow. The large scale Jacobean print as well as the smaller vine print is available on either a soft black or ivory background. Coordinating prints feature a geometric tile print in blue; a textured multicolor stripe; a rust vine and flower textured print; and a wonderful basket weave in either sage green or yellow. This collection is sure to catch your eye as you plan quilted projects for your home and is most definitely "bag friendly" as you treat yourself to a new quilted bag or stitch up a gift for a friend.
We hope your summer days include time for quilting; perhaps turning a binding or some hand applique` on the porch; shared outdoor fun and meals with family and friends; and time to enjoy the beauty of nature, wherever you are. Several hot summery days were enjoyed down at Green Pond by Dan and Carol's family and we'll leave you with a few images of summertime fun in Maine.
We look forward to seeing you soon ~ whether in person at Threads Galore or online.
Carol, Dan & Martha
Threads Galore Quilt Shop